Summer is coming and with it our love of Sangria is back in full force! There are a million ways to make Sangria, but we like ours full of flavoured hard liquor so that it doesn’t just taste like red wine with fruit in it. When the pitchers of Sangria come out, girls’ night always gets a little messy!
We used a Flagstone South African red wine, Poetry Cabernet Sauvignon 2014, which uses a mix of dark and red fruit, as well as mocha and mint aromas with a woody aftertaste. It has sweet and spicy undertones which make it a great wine to use in a sangria. It isn’t too sweet, nor too dry!
- 1 orange
- ½ pint raspberries or strawberries
- 3 oz Triple Sec (any orange liqueur will work)
- 1 ½ oz Peach Schnapps
- 1 ½ oz Meaghers Cherry or Apricot Brandy
- 1 bottle red wine (we used Flagstone Poetry Cabernet Sauvignon 2014)
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- Splash 7up
- Cut up fruit and toss into a large pitcher
- Add Triple Sec, Peach Schnapps, and Meaghers Cherry or Apricot Brandy
- Pour red wine until the pitcher is ¾ full, you won’t use the whole bottle
- Add orange juice and stir vigorously
- Splash in some 7up for a little bubbly, stir lightly
- Pour sangria, with fruit into glasses filled halfway with ice