This Southern Slaw can be eaten as a side salad or as a topping for tacos, and pulled pork or brisket sandwiches. We originally made it as a topping for BBQ brisket sliders – it’s colourful and vinegary, and we absolutely love it. Sometimes we toss this Southern Slaw with chickpeas and bell peppers for a vegan summer salad. Not that we’re proponents of veganism, we eat absolutely everything!
- ½ red cabbage head, cored and shredded
- 170g carrots, shredded
- Cilantro, chopped, to taste
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup peanut oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium red onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chili pepper flakes, optional
- Shred the cabbage and toss it in a bowl with shredded carrots, red onion, garlic and cilantro
- Whisk the lime juice, red wine vinegar and oil, add the sugar and whisk some more
- Season with salt and pepper, this slaw needs salt!
- Season with chili pepper flakes, optional