Shrimp saganaki is a Greek dish that consists of shrimp, feta and tomatoes that are baked in the oven and enjoyed as a warm dip with plenty of crusty bread. This variation turns the traditional Greek dish into a sauce for pasta, with a few tasty additions for more of that classic Mediterranean flavour. Greeks don’t cook a lot with pasta, but this is one of the exceptions, and it’s one of our favourite pasta dishes.
We’re obsessed with garlic, it adds so much flavour and it’s also REALLY good for you, click HERE for an interesting read on the 14 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Garlic. We love it when things taste good but are also good for you, to be honest we usually add a little more garlic that this recipe asks for 😉
We used a Greek brand of pasta called Misko (owned by Barilla), but any linguine will do, we just kept up with the theme of the evening. The trick to making this pasta perfection is using ripe cherry tomatoes, making sure your olives are pitted, your shrimps peeled, and using a nice creamy feta that melts well. We’re turncoats and actually prefer Bulgarian feta to Greek feta, but don’t tell anyone. Mourelatos Greek grocery store sells pitted Kalamata olives and Misko “linguine,” or what Greeks call “lasagna.” Leave it to the Greeks to confuse lasagna and linguine!
Shrimp Saganaki Pasta
- 226 g (1 pack) linguine
- Olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Chili pepper flakes, to taste
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups diced fresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp oregano
- Splash of Ouzo
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 454 g (1lb) black tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup feta, crumbled (heaping)
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped (heaping)
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives, pitted
- Salt and pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Capers, to garnish
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot and cook the pasta until al dente
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan on medium heat, add the shallots and cook until tender, approximately 5-7 minutes
- Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the wine and simmer for a 2 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, splash of ouzo, lemon juice, and oregano, and simmer until the sauce thickens, approximately 10 minutes
- Add the shrimp and simmer until cooked, approximately 2-4 minutes.
- Mix in the feta, mint, Italian parsley, Kalamata olives, and salt and pepper
- Toss linguine with sauce. Serve pasta with green onion and capers as a garnish