Persimmons, or kakis, are common in Italian households and Diva #2 grew up eating them. We’re not sure how it started but Diva #2 introduced Diva #1 to this golden fruit and it’s been a love affair ever since. Sadly this fruit isn’t available all year round, which disappointed Diva #1 who was very enamoured with persimmons – so she asked Diva #2 to make a persimmon jam! The perfect solution so that you enjoy persimmons all year long.
- 1 large or 2 small mason jars
- 2 lbs ripe Persimmons (about 5 or 6, depending on the size)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1-2 Tbs honey
- 1-2 Tbs lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Peel the persimmons, de-seed and dice
- Combine the diced fruit and white sugar in a pot and cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes
- Add 1 tbs honey, 1 tbs lemon juice and the lemon zest
- Let it cook another 10 minutes on low.
- Taste the mixture and adjust with more honey and lemon, to taste.
- Take the pot off the heat and mash with a potato masher or immersion blender
- Let cool slightly before putting jam into jar(s)
- NOTE: Store in refrigerator