When we started adding recipes to our blog we told ourselves that we were going to create simple recipes that anyone can make at home. Nothing unnecessarily complicated, or fancy, just our favourite dishes that we make on a regular basis for dinner or lunches for work. Diva #1 has lunch with Whitey almost every day at work, and she gave her the idea to start writing out her simple healthy lunch recipes that she often asks her for. This particular recipe is gluten free too!
And for those of you not YET in love with quinoa, honestly it really is a SUPERFOOD, click HERE for an interesting read on the 27 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Quinoa. We love it when things taste good but are also good for you 🙂
Orange Shrimp Quinoa in Cilantro Dressing
- ORANGE SHRIMP QUINOA:
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled (or chicken)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- Chili peppers
- 2 large oranges, peeled & segmented
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 avocados, diced
- Salt and pepper
- CILANTRO DRESSING:
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp walnuts, toasted
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, optional
- ORANGE SHRIMP QUINOA: Cook quinoa according to package and leave in large bowl to cool
- Pour olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add garlic and ginger. Add the shrimp (or chicken), and the paprika, chilli peppers, and salt and pepper to taste.
- When cooked through, pour over cooled quinoa
- Add the chopped green onions and oranges to the quinoa mixture. Stir.
- CILANTRO DRESSING: Pulse all ingredients in food processor or blender.
- Pour cilantro dressing over the quinoa mixture, add avocado, and serve at room temperature.
- NOTE: We make this recipe for lunches for work, if you do the same, do not add avocado until you’re about to eat the salad