Studies show that the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest diets that you can follow. Since the Divas are of Greek and Italian heritage, looks like we’ll be around for a long time! Extra virgin olive oil is a big part of the Mediterranean diet, and we know a little something about this magical elixir. We recently discovered Alpha Omega Naturel and we love its strong taste and versatility. Whether you’re dressing a simple salad with simply extra virgin olive oil and fleur de sel, or using it to fry, or even bake, we know you’ll love it. We definitely do!
Olive Oil Cake with Lemon Curd
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Zest 1 lemon
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup Alpha Omega Naturel extra virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds, toasted and crumbled
- Powder sugar, for dusting
- LEMON CURD:
- Zest 3 lemons
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- CAKE: Preheat oven at 350F. Grease an 8 or 9 inch cake pan
- Mix flour, baking powder and ½ tsp salt. Set aside
- Beat 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs and zest of 1 lemon until mixture is pale and fluffy. Beat in the milk
- Gradually beat in the Alpha Omega Naturel olive oil.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in crumbled almonds.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for approximately 35 minutes
- When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar
- LEMON CURD: Zest 3 lemons and mix into 1 ½ cup sugar. Set aside
- Cream butter and beat in the sugar and lemon zest mixture. Add the eggs, one at a time
- Then add the lemon juice and ⅛ tsp salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour this mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat until it thickens (approx. 10-12 minutes), stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Optional: Drizzle additional Alpha Omega Naturel extra virgin olive oil onto cake