These days, you can buy any produce at the supermarket, regardless of whether it’s in season. But there is something about going to the market in full summer, and picking up Montreal’s fresh in-season produce, that makes a dish exceptional. Not to mention aromatic and flavourful! That’s exactly what we did with our Market Pasta, perhaps we should call in Montreal pasta because almost all our ingredients were locally grown. We have a bias towards the Jean Talon Market, but any market fresh ingredients will do. And fret not, this recipe can be easily adapted to suit what’s in season and at its peak!
Market Fresh Pasta
- Olive oil
- 3 mild sausages, casing removed
- 1 bunch of radishes, cut in quarters
- 1 package (227 g) white button mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 large zucchini, cut in half moon slices
- Chili flakes, to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, save the can!
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup snap peas, whole
- Salt and pepper
- Pasta (your choice!)
- Add olive oil to a large pot and cook the sausages on medium-high heat
- When the sausage is cooked halfway through, add in the radishes and stir
- Cook for approximately 8 minutes and then add the mushrooms. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes
- Add in the zucchini, chili flakes and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes and add in the crushed tomatoes
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour in red wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure that nothing is stuck and burning
- Rinse the tomato can with approximately ¼ cup of water and add it to the sauce
- Let simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to the package directions
- Add the snap peas to the sauce and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes
- When the pasta is done, combine it with the sauce, and serve. Drizzle olive oil over each plate of pasta before enjoying!