Diva #2 loves snacking in between meals and started making date squares as a healthy alternative to ward off any hangry moments. They’re quick and easy to make, they don’t require any fancy ingredients and best of all, they’re delicious!
- 3 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 ½ tsp butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the chopped dates, water, lemon zest and butter to a slow boil for a few minutes (this will take approximately 10 mins or so). Set the date filing aside to cool
- To make the crumb mixture, in a bowl, mix the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter and mix until you get pea-sized pieces of filling.
- Once the date filling has cooled, using an immersion blender or food processor, blend the mixture until smooth (it’s okay if there are still small pieces of dates)
- Take half the crumb mixture and press it into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch square pan. Layer the date filling next, and top with the remaining half of the crumb mixture and press lightly
- Bake it in the oven at 375 F for approximately 40 to 45 minutes. You know it’s done when the top crumb layer is a nice golden brown
- NOTE: You can easily freeze these and defrost them at room temperature whenever you want a treat!